Monday, May 26, 2014

Surpise! Salmon Cakes For Dinner It is.

Salmon Cakes!

Recently I stumbled upon a new food blog.  It's http://www.skinnytaste.com/  Oh goodness this is a fun cooking blog.  Lately it's where I go when I extra ingredients and have no idea what to make for dinner.  The recipes are always good, low calorie, easy to prepare, and never boring.  When I need inspiration or want to try something new this is where I go.  SmittenKitchen is nice too but sometimes the recipes can be a bit daunting.  My boys are involved in taekwondo right now on Tues. and Thurs. and some days I don't have time for extra steps and additional prep. 

Anyway, last week I was prepared to make salmon kebabs.  I had extra salmon leftover from my CSA box and I mistakenly assumed it was cubed.   I had everything ready and was all set to stick my salmon onto my skewers when I took the salmon out of the package and realized that the pieces were WAY too small.  It was ground salmon.  Hmmmmm.  Time to switch gears.  In the past I would have been really upset but lately I've been trying approach life with less intensity.  So I looked in my pantry and fridge and tried to find some staples and figure out a solution. Not only did I find a solution but I also found a new recipe. 

Salmon Cakes!!! 

Now I've made crab cakes before but never salmon cakes.  Despite growing up in the Pacific Northwest, I didn't grow up eating a lot of fish, let alone salmon.  Spontaneously cooking with fish requires me to be a bit courageous.  I decided I was going to be brave and it totally paid off.  These salmon cakes are really good, easy to put together, and require only about 15 minutes in the fridge to chill.  From beginning to end, they took me about 45 minutes to prepare.  That includes time spent in the refrigerator.   Not bad for a weeknight meal. 

Here's my recipe.  Experiment with the ingredients and post your changes right here.  I love getting new ideas. 

Salmon Cakes

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb. ground or chopped salmon (no bones)
  • 1/4 cup panko (keep a bit extra for pan frying
  • 1/2 lemon (juiced)
  • 1/2 red onion (finely diced)
  • 3 fresh basil leaves (finely minced)
  • 1 tbsp. salted capers (rinsed)
  • 1 tbsp. mayonnaise
  • 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
  • 1-2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil (first cold pressed)
Place all ingredients into a dish or bowl and combine with impeccably clean hands. 
Try to make sure that all the ingredients are fully distributed but don't over mix.  If the salmon mixture is too wet then add more panko.  Take small handfuls of salmon mixture and roll into balls.  Flatten the balls into patties, place onto a plate, cover with plastic wrap, and chill in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes. 

When salmon patties are thoroughly chilled heat up the olive oil in a non-stick skillet on medium heat. Sprinkle each patty with a bit more panko.  Then place each salmon cake into the hot olive oil, and brown on each side.  This takes about 2-3 minutes per side.  Let the salmon cakes rest on a wire rack until ready to serve.
Mix it up!
 
Chill in the fridge.
 
Get frying.
 
Both sides!
 
Cook on the rack.
 
Serve and enjoy.

I served my salmon cakes over toasted rye bread and fresh salad greens.  I also topped them with additional basil.

No comments:

Post a Comment